Thursday, March 6, 2008

Crossword and Celebrity

This weekend was the 31st annual American Crossword Puzzle Tournament by the New York Times. Along with Dad and Anne, equipped with a box of number 2 pencils, a sharpener and a camera, we met with all the other Xword enthusiasts at the Brooklyn Mariott. This being my second year, I was anxious to improve my standings from last year. By the second day of the tournament, I was 680th out of 700. So a definite improvement for sure, but I never expected the paparrazi to be so impressed. With barely a second to warm up with some quick puzzles on Sunday before the grand finale puzzle, I was accosted by top network, Teen TV. They looked hopeful as they asked if I was a teenager, or at least in college. A year out of college was good enough, and they interviewed me about my views on crossword puzzles and how they could help in finding a job, getting into college, etc. I answered the best I could, trying to hide my name on my name tag. If they had any sort of journalistic background, you would think they would have checked the standings which were posted just outside the door. I don't know if they would have wanted to interview me then. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I was one of the few people under the age of 40. Oh well. I googled teen TV and couldn't find it. All the posts were about stupid Tyler.

4 comments:

Karen said...

it's your good looks, Mary - a virtual paraparazi magnet!

Mary T. said...

I don't know about that... I was wearing my Big Lebowski sweater which PS Anne and Dad BOTH decided to forgo.

Anne said...

I guess Mary forgot to mention that it was ME who got the feature interview with Teen News -missing Lebowski sweater notwithstanding.

Karen said...

OK girls, I am sure you will both be featured in TEEN News, and I couldn't be more proud!