Sunday, April 27, 2008

Bloody Ralphs

Just a few months after I met Justin, while still at Penn, a couple of friends and I decided to put together a celebratory brunch on the last morning of finals. For our quaff of choice - Bloody Marys - I turned to the expert for a recipe consult: Grandpa, of course.


It was at that point in time that I learned the secret to a delicious Spicy Bloody Ralph. We somehow managed to locate all the ingredients at our local West Philly grocer (my friend Emily was skeptical they would carry Clamato juice) and the Bloody Ralphs were a smashing hit.


The night before our wedding, Grandpa and Grandma gave me a cookbook filled with wonderful family recipes from all of the Gazette contributors; including, of course, the official formula for the Bloody Ralph.


So this morning, as Justin and I sipped on one of these delicious concoctions, I thought I would share the original recipe with all Gazette readers who may not have it. Enjoy!



Spicy Bloody Ralphs

Ralph's variation on the classic Bloody Mary


Note from Ralph: Some people will want less tabasco [Note from Anne: Some people will want more]


Another Note from Ralph: Ralph uses chilled ingredients and adds no ice. JoAnne adds ice half way through.


-6 oz. vodka

-1 tsp. tabasco sauce

-2 oz. Worcestershire sauce

-3/4 tsp. Uncle Dave's Bloody Mary Fixins

-1/4 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning salt

-11 oz. V-8 juice (Picante flavored)

-11 oz. Clamato juice


Add ingredients in order listed. Mix well after adding lemon pepper salt and again after adding Clamato juice. May be garnished with lime wedge, celery stalk, or dill pickle spear.

2 comments:

Karen said...

OK, so now you've got ME in the mood! I don't think we have had one since moving down to SP - what's up with that Dad?

Ralph said...

I made some on last Christmas mornin. Your memory is slipping.