Monday, June 2, 2008

New Office, New Website, and 500 New Unethical Business Cards


In the past week, I have moved to a new office. This office is closer to home, more attractive, and less insane than the old one. I absolutely love it.
The new diggs come with a new Law Office of Alison Grinter website (courtesy of Mr. Michael Krankota) and of course new business cards, designed in house by the aforementioned graphic genius.
So, after a long move I asked Mike to please lay out some new cards to be printed right away. I wanted to list the types of cases that I handle on the back of the card so that I might stop getting calls from people (friends and family of happy clients) who want me to do their child custody cases (I'd rather clean the toilets of the Lew Sterrett Justice Center). So Mike laid out the cards, dutifully asked me to review the proofs, which I approved, and had them printed.
So as I'm unboxing them today, I think to myself "Specializing in Criminal Defense"? I would never have approved that. You can't say that on a card unless you're Board Certified a designation which only about 5% of attorneys hold. It's certainly a goal of mine, but I'm not even eligible to sit for the exam for another 3 years . I made a quick call to the Texas Ethics Help Line, hoping that I was wrong about that, but alas. I must reprint. This time with the heading "Practicing Criminal Defense" instead of "Specializing in Criminal Defense". Oh well.
So if anyone has a table that doesn't sit level, I have 500 unethical business cards that might help.

3 comments:

Ralph said...

What is "expunction?"

Mike Krankota said...

For the record, Alison is leaving out the part of the design process where she dictated what I would write on the cards. How unethical.

Alison Grinter said...

Expunction is when a person's criminal record is deleted. it's available to people who have been found not guilty at trial, had their charges dismissed, or no-billed (when the grand jury refuses to return an indictment). All trace of the arrest is deleted and you are entitled to deny having been arrested.