Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Flag Football Superstar

Those of you who know my husband probably know how much of a football fan he is - both as a spectator (a painful experience, of late, for Chiefs fans) and as a player. And I have to give him credit: he is just as dedicated, competitive, and passionate about his sport as he was in college...despite a hectic work schedule, demanding puppies (and wife), and the physical repercussions of his athletic history that have finally started to catch up with him!


Every spring/summer, companies across the metro area participate in the annual "Kansas City Corporate Challenge," a charity event that works kind of like a mini-Olympics for businesses headquartered in KC. Justin quickly became one of UMB's most enthusiastic volunteers, and, of course, captain and active member of the co-ed flag football team. (True Story: Back when I worked at UMB I thought it would be a nice gesture of wifely support to play on Justin's team. After signing up and coming to all the practices, I peeked over Justin's shoulder one day only to catch a glimpse of his final roster...without my name on it. Yes...he had cut me from the team.)

This year, Justin started preparing for his season in March - reading up on the new rules, crafting elaborate play cards, and organizing scrimmages to get his team whipped into shape. And, it paid off - UMB clinched the silver medal in what turned out to be a highly competitive division. It was the highest finish for a team sport in UMB's entire history and I am very proud - congratulations, Justin!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Looks like you've still got the moves, JR, but ouch, cutting your own wife . . . (of course she would have done the same if the situation warranted, I am sure!)