Wednesday, November 26, 2008

An Immaculate Home is a Sure Sign Of the Impending Visit of a Female Relative

I've heard that adage a few times and find it generally true . I am experiencing a twist on the concept that may amuse my sweet sister-in-law.

Yesterday morning the house was totally clean, the final lists of things to do and get were made, all was peaceful and ready for the visit of the Matriarch. I had a very nice lunch out with Alison so as not to mus things up by eating lunch at home as usual - we were ready.

All was well as I headed off to my meeting that evening. When I got in the car at around 6:30 and headed to the store for last minute shopping I got a call from my house, it was Alison.


Ali - Umm Hi Mom, look Dad called and he's going to be late so I'm not going to wait to walk the dogs with him.

WJ - Why will he be late?

Ali - Ya I don't really know, something about a new law, I don't know something - and uuummm have you talked to Chris?

WJ - No , why?

Ali - Not really sure, umummm something about electricity, you probably will hear from him soon uuummm gotta go.

Time to worry! uuummmm means I don't want to tell you and you aren't going to like it when you know so I "gotta go".

The short of this long tale is that Chris and Amy and two dogs had to spend the night in our carefully prepared guest room because the new apartment (which is right in the neighborhood - we are very excited about having them so close) has no electricity or gas. Tonight if necessary they will sleep in the new office. Sometimes the best laid plans are just targets.

Now rather than a clean house we have a redecorated holiday featuring a new pack to run with and more overnight guests than we were originally planning - not to worry there's always room.

The much anticipated visit is still impending -- this is where the adage goes wonky on us -- Rather than an immaculate house, ours has the patina of family ... but, it truly was immaculate, yesterday!

Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving with unexpected blessings!

No comments: